Monday, June 22, 2009

Sketching pencils and puff sleeves

Recently, I've become very intrigued with fashion illustration. As a girl who is an art minor, took about 1000 drawing classes in high school and wishes with all her might that her college had a fashion program, it's so alluring to me.

I was going to post just about fashion illustration, but I decided to be more specific and write specifically of Marguerite Sauvage. When I first looked up fashion illustration online, her photos were the ones that I immediately found so captivating.

This is an excerpt about her from another website :
"Sauvage creates an intriguing intimacy between animal and human, reverie and reality. In her world, lady-beast hybrids are clothed in puff-sleeve jackets. Imaginative and dreamy, it's like Narnia unfolded in le Marais."

Personally, I love the whimsy present in her work. Because truly, that's part of what I love about fashion: it's playful, imaginative essence that makes me feel like a kid again, in only the best ways. Fashion illustration does that even more for me, reminiscent of the pictures in a picture book, only more sophisticated.

Furthermore, she has inspired me to start sketching various outfits with pretty shapes and pleasurable colors. I'm starting small, sketching beautiful fashion spread and trying to do them justice. Maybe some day I'll post some here.

Some of my favorite of her illustrations are pictured below:
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

A gallery of her work can be found on her website.

Photobucketxo

No comments:

Post a Comment